Ukraine"s Poroshenko announces army pull-out from Debaltseve

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on Wednesday declared that Ukrainian forces were carrying out a "planned and organized" departure from the town of Debaltseve which has been under siege by Russian-backed separatists for weeks.

Speaking from a snowy airfield in Kiev before leaving for the frontlines, Poroshenko praised Ukrainian forces for fulfilling their duty in defending Debaltseve and said they had shown the world "the true face of the bandits and separatists who are supported by Russia."

Poroshenko said 80 percent of forces had been withdrawn from Debaltseve with their weapons and another two columns were expected to leave.

Add comment